Arthurlie Football Club

Match Centre


WoSFL Conference A


By Ross Lafferty

TABLE-TOPPING Arthurlie took their unbeaten run to an incredible 28 games, but it’s unlikely they will have faced tougher opponents during that run than this Maryhill team.

The visitors have been in good form as of late and were looking to carry that on against the league leaders and boost their chances of making the Championship next season.

With captain Gary Carroll suspended, Kieran Chalmers came into the ‘Lie team at right-back and Nad Zeb moved forward into the midfield. Calum Nolan also returned to the line-up in place of Kevin McFarlane.

Arthurlie retained their usual shape, but were in unfamiliar territory in the early stages of the match as Maryhill came flying out the blocks.

In the very first minute they won a free-kick on the halfway line and, after sending it high into the box, Kyle McAvoy sent his shot wide from 10 yards with the goal at his mercy.

McAvoy was to prove a constant threat during the game and James Scott had to be on his toes to deny him a couple of times in the early stages.

Dave Mackay had Arthurlie’s first shot at goal, curling wide from 20 yards in the 4th minute, before Tam McGaughey was upended in the box 4 minutes later but saw his appeals for a penalty waved away.

With the game flowing from end-to-end it was the home side who took the lead on 22 minutes, Jordan Leyden crossing low into the box for Gary Smith to turn home.

Smith then missed a good chance to make it 2 when he took a fresh air shot after McGaughey crossed from the right.

Maryhill were always lively, continuing to push Arthurlie in defence, and on 26 minutes Patterson missed a golden opportunity when he shot over following good work from McInally.

Three minutes later Tony Etherson was the next to get a glimpse at goal but his weak shot was easily held by Scott.

Having held on to their slender lead going into the break, ‘Lie started quickly in the second half and on 50 minutes Lee Roulston worked his way into the box on the left-wing, sending a low cross to Nad Zeb who controlled well before turning and firing a low shot home at Cameron’s near post.

Straight from the restart Zeb nearly had a second but his shot into the ground from the edge of the box went just over the bar.

Scott made a good save from McKenzie on the hour mark as Maryhill threw everything forward in search of a goal. Chalmers was also to deny McKenzie with a great last ditch tackle after the Maryhill forward was sent clear through the middle.

With the away side getting desperate in their efforts for a goal, gaps were appearing at the back and Smith should have put the game out of sight but could only hit his shot straight at Cameron when put in on goal on 70 minutes.

Roulston was having a big influence on the game and set up substitute Darren Ramsay to shoot wide on 77 before then having a goal disallowed, for an apparent foul, when he headed home a Ramsay corner.

That was to prove the last meaningful action in what was an excellent game in difficult conditions, the wind and rain not being particularly conducive to an entertaining 90 minutes.

Andy McFadyen’s men had to work hard for the three points and will be delighted that they could take another step towards their goal of winning the Conference A title.

Arthurlie lineup: Scott, Chalmers, Mackay (Bradley 82), Nolan (McFarlane 48), MacNeil, McLaughlin (Ramsay 75), Zeb, Leyden, Smith, Roulston, McGaughey

Substitutes: Black (GK), Bradley, Dunsmore, O’Hare, McLachlan

‘Mon the ‘Lie

© Copyright Arthurlie Football Club 2021