Arthurlie Football Club

Match Centre


South Challenge Cup Fourth Round


By Ross Lafferty

ARTHURLIE’S unbeaten run finally came to an end this afternoon against Lowland league table toppers Bonnyrigg Rose.

The WoSFL Conference A leaders put up an inspired performance against a side two tiers above them in the Scottish football pyramid and were unlucky not to progress.

The difference in league standing was not noticeable throughout the 90 minutes and ultimately it was a tale of two penalties that decided this match.

Gary Carroll returned to the line up for the home side and resumed his duties as captain after his recent suspension.

And there was an early scare for Arthurlie when Carroll went down under a challenge in the first minute, although the skipper returned to his feet when the ball went out of play and seemed to jog off his knock.

The ‘lie started well and, after winning a corner, Darren Ramsay saw his resultant kick cleared off the line. The ball broke straight to Tam McGaughey, however, and his curling effort from 20 yards skimmed the left-hand post.

On 6 minutes, Ramsay had another audacious attempt at goal but the shot from his half went well wide.

A couple of minutes later the visitors had the ball in the net but Turner was ruled to be offside and the scores remained level.

In the 13th minute Arthurlie missed a golden opportunity to take the lead with the first of the two penalties. Gary Smith flicked a high ball on to McGaughey and the winger was brought down as he looked to get a shot in on goal. From the spot, however, Carroll tried to go for power and Weir managed to knock it away to safety with his right boot.

Bonnyrigg were always looking dangerous going forward and Young had their first real chance on 22 minutes, heading a corner over from 8 yards.

On the half-hour mark ‘Lie almost scored with a header as well but Smith glanced his attempt just wide from a Ramsay free-kick.

It was from the restart that the visitors went straight up the park and took the lead. Lance Pearce was harshly punished for a challenge in the box and Lewis Turner converted the penalty that followed.

The goal seemed to knock the home side for a bit, but they crept back into things and with five minutes of the half remaining Lee Roulston sent a left-footer just over the bar following some nifty footwork at the edge of the box.

A minute later Jordan Leyden sent McGaughey in on goal with a tremendous crossfield pass but Weir in the Rose goal was equal to the winger’s stinging drive.

Just before the break McGachie created space for himself in the box to head a corner goalwards but James Scott got down well to hold on to his effort.

Arthurlie came out for the second half a full five minutes before the away side and when the game did get underway they were the ones who looked most ready.

Carroll had a couple of early shots that missed the target before Ramsay saw his cross-come-shot tipped over the bar by Weir.

Ramsay then called Weir into action again on 54 minutes, the goalkeeper holding on to his left-foot drive from the corner of the box.

With 62 minutes played McGaughey missed a great chance to equalise, sending his shot across the face of goal after being played in by Smith.

Two minutes later McGaughey had another opportunity but put a free kick from 25 yards over the bar.

Rose immediately went up the park and created a good chance but Scott did well to turn it wide with his right foot.

Dave Mackay was replaced by Conor Bradley on 74 minutes and the left-back was in on the action straightaway, his ball into the box eventually found its way to Ramsay who smashed a shot narrowly over the bar.

Roulston saw a header deflected wide from a Bradley cross on 83 minutes and from the resulting corner Smith saw his header fly narrowly wide.

Arthurlie pushed in the closing stages but luck just didn’t seem to be on their side, with Bonnyrigg always managing to somehow get a body in the way of their efforts.

Jordan Leyden had the final go in injury time, with his acrobatic effort being deflected just over.

Arthurlie lineup: Scott, Ramsay, Mackay (Bradley 74), Pearce, MacNeil, McLaughlin (O’Hare 84), Roulston, Leyden, Smith, Carroll (Nolan 88) (c), McGaughey

Subs not used: Dunsmore, Chalmers, Healy, Black (GK)

‘Mon the ‘Lie

© Copyright Arthurlie Football Club 2021