Arthurlie 2-4 Glenafton


Arthurlie: Simeon (3), Roulston (5)

Glenafton: McLean (7), Mcwaters (16), O’Kane (72), Kerr (80)

WoSFL Premier Division

14:00 Saturday 13 May 2023

Dunterlie Park, Barrhead

By Ross Lafferty

ARTHURLIE drew the season to a close at Dunterlie Park, safe in the knowledge that their place in the WoSFL Premier Division was assured for next season following Kilwinning’s defeat to Troon in midweek.

Glenafton made the trip from New Cumnock for a season closer that would be played with the sun beating down on the Dunterlie Park pitch on a beautiful May Saturday.

It was only 3 minutes before Arthurlie took the lead with a brilliant goal, Dale Simeon controlling a pass from Andy McLaughlin before sending the ball out wide to Gary Carroll. The Arthurlie skipper did brilliantly to catch the ball as it approached the touchline, sending a cross over to the back post for Simeon to head home off the post.

Just 2 minutes later ‘Lie added a second, Simeon’s corner from the left being headed home by Lee Roulston.

Only a couple more minutes passed before the game had its third goal, but this time it was Glens getting in on the act, Scott McLean bursting forward into the box to powerfully finish past James Scott from 15 yards.

McLean was involved again as the visitors levelled things in the 16th minute, finding himself in space on the right and pulling the ball back to Alex Mcwaters to finish.

Simeon had a great opportunity to restore Arthurlie’s lead on 24 minutes, Craig Burns parrying Jordan Leyden’s shot straight into his path, but the goalkeeper recovered well to put the forward off and he could only shoot wide.

At the half-time break the home team made a change of goalkeeper, introducing Garry Black in place of Scott.

Only a few minutes after coming on, Black watched on thankfully as a Mcwaters shot from 50 yards sailed narrowly over, the substitute goalkeeper having wandered well off his line.

The game was coasting along for the first 20 minutes of the second half, as the heat and a string of substitutions, seemed to take the momentum away from both teams.

Simeon had a good opportunity on 67 when he raced on to a superb crossfield pass from Roulston, but the angle was just too tight and Burns stood up well to block his effort.

Five minutes later, however, Glenafton made no mistake when the opportunity came their way, Dylan O’Kane finding the back of the net from outside the box.

With 10 minutes remaining the Ayrshire side added a fourth, substitute Sam McKee racing through on goal and going past Black before setting up fellow sub Hugh Kerr to slot home.

It had taken the second half some time to come to life but chances were now happening at both ends and, with 3 minutes still to go, Gary Smith lashed a volley goalwards that Burns did well to parry away.

It was the last action of an entertaining end-of-season game and both teams were given a warm reception from a bumper crowd as they left the park at the final whistle.

Arthurlie team: Scott (Black 46), McGregor, MacNeil, Bradley (Bilham 65), Kerr, Roulston, McLaughlin (Warnock 67), Strain (Shelvey 65), Leyden, Simeon, Carroll (c) (Smith 81)

Subs not used: Nolan, Miller

Glenafton team: Burns, Caldwell, McLean, Pettigrew (Currie 84), Mcwaters, Paton, Murphy (McKee 54), Moffat (Kerr 54), O’Kane, Rowe, McMullin

Subs not used: McFadyen, Nisbet, Glavin (GK), Markey (GK)