WoSFL Premier Division

14:00 Saturday 18 March 2023

Dunterlie Park, Barrhead


Arthurlie: Kerr (4), Simeon (13)

Cumnock: Dickie (38)

Red Card

Arthurlie: Kerr (43)

It was a new man in the dugout for Arthurlie this weekend with Colin Reilly taking charge for the first time as Cumnock made the trip from East Ayrshire to Dunterlie.

Reilly and his backroom team arrived in midweek from Vale of Clyde, and they were given a warm welcome from the home crowd on a wet and windy day in Barrhead.

It didn’t take long for the new management to get their first goal; after some scrappy play in the middle of the park, the ball broke out to Max Kerr on the left and, after a couple of touches to drive inside, he smashed the ball home from 20 yards off the inside of the post.

Five minutes later ‘Lie thought they had grabbed a second when Lewis Magee headed a Gary Carroll cross high into the net, but the standside linesman had his flag up for offside.

The home side were piling on the pressure and on 12 minutes Kerr broke free on the left following a great move, sending a teasing cross into the box that Greg Ferry somehow headed out from under his own crossbar.

It was merely a short delay for the second, however, as from the resulting corner the ball broke out to Dale Simeon and he slammed high into the net from 20 yards.

Simeon turned provider on 23 minutes, sending a low cross to the back post for the onrushing Gary Carroll, but the ‘Lie skipper was always stretching to make a connection and turned the ball narrowly wide.

Four minutes later Andy McLaughlin was looking to get in on the scoring, running on to a Lee Roulston cross, but seeing his left-footed effort sail harmlessly over the bar.

As the half-hour mark arrived Jordan Shelvey was sent clear on goal, but Jamie Barclay was quick off his line in the Cumnock goal and saved bravely at the forward’s feet.

It was looking only a matter of time before the third arrived, and it was quite a surprise on 38 minutes when the visitors pulled one back against the run of play, Grant Dickie expertly finishing from Jamie Wilson’s knockdown.

From being in complete control, things got even worse for the Barrhead side in the 43rd minute when goalscorer Kerr was shown a red card following a second yellow for a foul on the halfway line.

At the break Shelvey made way for Callum Shields as the home side looked to protect their lead with ten men.

Just three minutes later they were forced into another change, Simeon being forced off with an injury and Lewis Warnock being introduced to the action.

It was approaching the hour mark before either team registered a real chance in the second half, Andy McLaughlin finding Lee Roulston following some fine work, and Barclay doing well to hold on to the midfielder’s deflected effort.

With 10 minutes remaining, Cumnock came close to levelling the scores, James Scott saving well from substitute Jordan Moore.

From the corner that followed, the visitors saw an effort crash off the bar before Graham Boyd somehow headed over from close range.

With just two minutes remaining, and following what seemed like endless Cumnock pressure, Shields almost put the ball into his own net, slicing wildly from the edge of the box and seeing the ball dip just over the bar.

Shields was then the hero just a matter of seconds later, clearing off the line when the Cumnock corner was diverted goalwards.

With injury time well underway, Ferry had another chance for the Ayrshire men but headed over from close range.

Despite the constant push for the equaliser, it wasn’t to come for the visitors and the ten men of Arthurlie bravely held on to give Reilly a debut win in charge.

Arthurlie team: Scott, Kerr, Magee, McGregor, Bradley, Roulston, Leyden, McLaughlin, Carroll (c), Simeon (Warnock 48), Shelvey (Shields 46)

Subs not used: Dunsmore, Nolan, Pearce, Black (GK)

Cumnock team: Barclay, Sewell (Ross), Willet, Fyfe, Ferry, McLaughlin, Dickie (Boyd), Wilson (Moore 72), Frye (c), Sharpe, Conn

Subs not used: Strain, Dolan, McLean, Carnwath