Kilwinning Rangers 1-1 Arthurlie

WoSFL Premier Division

19:30 Wednesday 8 March 2023

Buffs Park, Kilwinning


Kilwinning: Collins (68)

Arthurlie: Simeon (29)

Following Saturday’s disappointing defeat at home to Largs, and Sunday’s stunning news of the departure of newly-appointed manager Johnny Millar, Arthurlie were back on their travels with a visit to Kilwinning Rangers at Buffs Park.

With no manager in place following Millar’s resignation, it was captain Gary Carroll who was taking charge, with senior players Callum Nolan and Lance Pearce assisting.

After only two minutes, Carroll should have seen his team take the lead when Dale Simeon was put through on goal, but the forward saw Ally McInnes make a fine save in the home goal and Jordan Leyden could only send the rebound over the bar!

It was all Arthurlie in the early stages and Jordan Shelvey headed wide from a corner on 6 minutes before Lee Roulston shot just over from 20 yards a couple of minutes later.

Shelvey had another great chance on 14 minutes, being put through on McInnes, but once again the Kilwinning number one was equal to the task, saving low to his right.

Just a minute after that chance, Shelvey was again proving a danger but saw his shot from a tight angle clip the post before heading wide.

The opener, however, did arrive on 29 minutes, Simeon twisting and turning in the Rangers box before slotting home to give ‘Lie the lead.

Simeon then turned provider just before the half ended, breaking free on the left before squaring to Ryan McGregor, but the midfielder ballooned his shot over the bar from six yards.

At the start of the second half it was clear that Kilwinning had been spurred on by whatever was said in the dressing room at half-time and they could easily have been level, or better, by the hour mark.

The home side were denied, firstly by a fantastic save from James Scott and then an incredible goal-line clearance by Lance Pearce, to keep the visitors in the lead.

On 68 minutes the scores were level, however, a long throw from the right making its way to the back post where Thomas Collins was on hand to head into the Arthurlie net.

Five minutes later the Arthurlie lead should have been restored, but Simeon was again denied in a one-on-one with the excellent McInnes in the Kilwinning net.

It was to be the last real chance of a match that ended with both teams having to settle for a single point in their battle to avoid the drop from the West Premier Division.

Arthurlie team: Scott; Shields, Bradley, Pearce, Magee; Roulston, McLaughlin (Warnock 63), McGregor, Leyden (c); Simeon, Shelvey (Kerr 78)

Subs not used: Carroll, Nolan, Martin, Dunsmore, Black (GK)

Kilwinning team: McInnes, Boland, El-Zubaidi, M.Millar, Maccalman, McColm (Marshall 88), C.Millar, Collins, Lamont, G.Millar, Mackin

Subs not used: Hale, O’Brien, Torrance, McLean, Henderson