Arthurlie 1-2 Troon

14:00 Saturday 25 February 2023

Dunterlie Park, Barrhead


Arthurlie: MacNeil (63)

Troon: Syme (40), B.Black (60)

ARTHURLIE’S dismal run of form continued as they lost another key game to relegation rivals, Troon following up where Cambuslang, Largs and Petershill had succeeded before them with a vital victory against the Barrhead side.

The game had started in a very disjointed fashion, neither team getting hold of the ball and the goalkeepers largely spectating.

Mick MacNeil created the first opening of any note on 10 minutes, finding himself in the Troon box and displaying adept footwork to turn a defender before seeing his shot from an angle blocked for a corner.

Nine minutes later we saw the first real opportunity, Lee Roulston powering a Dale Simeon corner goalwards with a header, only to see Dale Burgess in the Troon goal spectacularly turn the ball over the bar.

Burgess was called into action again a couple of minutes later, easily holding on to a Gary Carroll shot from distance.

The Troon goalkeeper was suddenly a busy man, turning another effort over in the 25th minute, this time from a Lance Pearce drive from a tight angle.

On the half hour mark, Carroll came very close to claiming goal of the season, picking the ball up just inside the Troon half and launching the ball goalwards with Burgess off his line, but the ball dipped just too late and went narrowly over the bar.

Troon should have been in front in the 34th minute, a great cross from Jack Sherrie finding Dean Fulton in acres of space at the back post, but the forward could only head wide with the goal at his mercy.

The visitors were to take the lead, however, after 40 minutes, David Syme lashing home from close range after seeing a header from a corner well saved by James Scott.

After a slow start to the second half the Seasiders doubled their lead in stunning fashion, Ben Black giving himself half a yard of space with a touch to the side before unleashing an unstoppable shot from 20 yards that crashed in off the bar.

Three minutes later the home side were back in the game, a corner kick falling to the feet of MacNeil and the ‘Lie centre-back composed himself before smashing home with his left-foot.

The game was continuing to be very patchy, with lots of stoppages and niggly fouls wasting much of the time in the second half.

MacNeil was looking determined to make things happen, however, as Arthurlie huffed and puffed in attack, the defender again pushing forward with 12 minutes remaining, but sending his effort from the edge of the box high over the bar.

MacNeil was sent into attack for the latter stages as Arthurlie pushed for the equaliser, but despite a brave closing effort, the goal was to prove elusive and the away team claimed those vital three points.

Arthurlie team: Scott, Pearce, MacNeil, Bradley (Leyden 62); McBride (Shields 68), McGregor, Roulston, Kerr; Simeon (Magee 87), Carroll, Smith

Subs not used: Martin, McLaughlin, Nolan, Warnock

Troon team: Burgess, McCloskey (Morrison 78), Smith, Sherrie, B.Black, Gilroy, Syme, Fulton (Wilson 84), Boyd (Marks 78), J.Black (McKernon 33), Gallagher

Subs not used: Richardson, Strain, Fraser (GK)